Choose one of the historical figures from the list below and construct a biographical sketch.
Your sketch should include the following:
- Biographical Sketch: (2-3 pages) Construct a narrative of the figure’s life, this can discuss a specific moment in time and does not have to be a full biographical account of their life
- Utilize at least 3 sources. Contextualize your sources within the biographical sketch.
- Critical Analysis: (1-2 pages) How does this person’s life and accomplishments connect to themes and concepts from class? Why are they important? What are your views regarding the sources that you used in your sketch? How did they approach their subject?
- Connect to at least two readings from class.
- Remember to include all both sections in your paper.
- Properly cite textual evidence if needed in the citation style of your choice (MLA, APA, Chicago, etc.).
- Give yourself time to outline, write, and review your paper. Beware of slipping into clichés or tired language. See Devon Mihesuah’s Chapter “Stereotypes and Other Mistakes”.
- You can use reliable secondary and online sources.
- Utilize your preferred writing voice (1st person or 3rd person)
Native American Historical Figures
Angel De Cora
Anna Mae Pictou Aquash
Annie Dodge Wauneka
Betty Mae Jumper
Ella Cara Deloria
Helen Betty Osborne
LaDonna Brave Bull Allard
Leslie Marmon Silko
Lydia Lili’uLoloku Walania Kamaka’eha (Queen Lili’uokalani)
Mary Frances Thompson (Te Ata)
Nanye-hi (Nancy Ward)
Susan La Flesche
The Dann Sisters (Mary Dann and Carrie Dann)